Hive >> mail # dev >> Custom UDF can not handle constant string parameter

Re: Custom UDF can not handle constant string parameter
It depends on how you wrote the UDF. One trick you can do trick hive
into thinking it is non-constant: select a column of 0 length and then
concat it.

SELECT concat(substring(colx),0,0), myUDF("constant string") ) from....

Now its not constant!