HBase, mail # user - how client location a region/tablet?

+
Lin Ma 2012-08-18, 09:13
+
Stack 2012-08-19, 04:40
Re: how client location a region/tablet?
Lars George 2012-08-19, 08:46
That is spot on Stack, it is the worst case scenario as you describe, i.e. all cached information is stale.

Lars

On Aug 19, 2012, at 6:40 AM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Lin Ma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> I am referencing the Big Table paper about how a client locates a tablet.
>> In section 5.1 Tablet location, it is mentioned that client will cache all
>> tablet locations, I think it means client will cache root tablet in
>> METADATA table, and all other tablets in METADATA table (which means client
>> cache the whole METADATA table?). My question is, whether HBase implements
>> in the same or similar way? My concern or confusion is, supposing each
>> tablet or region file is 128M bytes, it will be very huge space (i.e.
>> memory footprint) for each client to cache all tablets or region files of
>> METADATA table. Is it doable or feasible in real HBase clusters? Thanks.
>>

> Yeah, we client cache's locations, not the data.
>

>> BTW: another confusion from me is in the paper of Big Table section 5.1
>> Tablet location, it is mentioned that "If the client’s cache is stale, the
>> location algorithm could take up to six round-trips, because stale cache
>> entries are only discovered upon misses (assuming that METADATA tablets do
>> not move very frequently).", I do not know how the 6 times round trip time
>> is calculated, if anyone could answer this puzzle, it will be great. :-)
>>

> I'm not sure what the 6 is about either.  Here is a guesstimate:
>
> 1. Go to cached location for a server for a particular user region,
> but server says that it does not have a region, the client location is
> stale
> we want, but its location is stale.
> 3. Go to root location, to find new location of meta, but the root
> location has moved.... what the client has is stale
> 4. Find new root location and do lookup of meta region location
> 5. Go to meta region location to find new user region
> 6. Go to server w/ user region
>
> St.Ack
+
Lin Ma 2012-08-19, 11:36