Hadoop >> mail # user >> Determine the key of Map function

Re: Determine the key of Map function
Its somewhat tricky to understand exactly what you need from your
explanation, but I believe you want teachers who have the most students in
a given class.  So for English, i have 10 teachers teaching the class - and
i want the ones with the highes # of students.

You can output key= <classid>, value=<-1*#ofstudent,teacherid> as the
values.

The values will then be sorted, by # of students.  You can thus pick
teacher in the the first value of your reducer, and that will be the
teacher for class id = xyz , with the highes number of students.

You can also be smart in your mapper by running a combiner to remove the
teacherids who are clearly not maximal.

--
Jay Vyas
MMSB/UCHC