Zookeeper, mail # user - Get sequence number without node creation

+
Vitalii Tymchyshyn 2011-11-17, 09:59
Re: Get sequence number without node creation
Sean Bridges 2011-11-17, 16:54
Can you do,

Stat stat = zk.setData(somePath, new byte[] {});
stat.getVersion();

setData(...) will update the version number of the node.

This is how we use zookeeper for sequence number generation.

Sean

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Vitalii Tymchyshyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a feature request I'd like to discuss: How about a call that will
> give next sequential node number without node creation. Main reason is that
> in many cases this would allow retries without leak on reconnect, e.g.:
> Now:
> 1) create(SEQUENTIAL) - disconnect - retry - and you've just leaked a node
> Can be
> 2) incrementCounter() - create(name). And you can make a retry in any place.
> The worst thing that can occur is that you will have a hole in your
> numbering
>
> Another cases this can help are simple counters (no need to create nodes at
> all) or simply different sequential nodes naming schema.
>
> Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn

+
Vitalii Tymchyshyn 2011-11-18, 12:41
+