Accumulo >> mail # dev >> GSoC proposal: Ambari for Accumulo - forever : )

+
Andres Danter 2013-04-25, 06:19
+
Keith Turner 2013-04-25, 13:18
+
Andres Danter 2013-04-25, 13:44
+
Keith Turner 2013-04-25, 13:51
+
Andres Danter 2013-04-25, 14:09
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-04-25, 16:40
+
Andres Danter 2013-04-25, 17:15
+
Keith Turner 2013-04-25, 14:54
+
Andres Danter 2013-04-25, 15:40
+
Keith Turner 2013-04-25, 16:18
+
John Vines 2013-04-26, 14:30
+
Andres Danter 2013-04-26, 14:47
+
Drew Pierce 2013-04-26, 15:01
+
Andres Danter 2013-04-30, 00:03
Re: GSoC proposal: Ambari for Accumulo - forever : )
On 4/25/13 11:40 AM, Andres Danter wrote:
> Excellent feedback, Keith. Thanks.
>
> I should have mentioned the REST API in the proposal.  I'm not sure if I
> can use it for the CLI.  I will certainly try, since I would like to adhere
> to the Ambari architecture as much as possible.
>
> As for your other points:
>
> *3.1.1 loggers do not exists in 1.5 ... so would only need to consider them
> if working w/ 1.4 .  I suppose you would want to work Accumulo 1.4, since
> that the current stable release.*
>
> Yes. I was going to work with Accumulo 1.4, but it is good to know that the
> loggers are not supported in 1.5.
Not so much "not supported" in 1.5, but more "not necessary". The
write-ahead log (mechanism to ensure data is not lost during ingest) is
backed by HDFS and managed by TServers in >=1.5 instead of a separate
Logger process (used local fs and handled replication internally) which
<=1.4 has.

> *3.1.3
>    Accumulo supports reading system config from xml local file and then
> zookeeper (whats set in zookeeper takes precedence).  The nice thing about
> setting something a config zookeeper, is that process restart is not
> required.*
>
> Good to know this too.  Does this only affect Zookeeper?  I should
> distinguish between processes that may need restarts to load a
> configuration vs those that do not.  Is the Zookeeper process the only one
> like that?
>

> *For section 3.2, are you proposing adding features to the existing Ambari
> GUI?  If so, are the Accumulo specific?*
>
> I am proposing to add features to the existing Ambari GUI.  The idea here
> is that something like user access controls can be generalized so that any
> Hadoop component being managed by Ambari is able to utilize them.  I'm
> hoping that the Ambari PMC is OK with me doing this.  I do not want to
> introduce any Accumulo-specific features that would make no sense for other
> components.
> *
> It seems that Ambari relies on RPMs.  Its possible you may have to spend
> time creating Accumulo RPMs that are useful for Ambari. You may want to
> think about allocating some time for this.  Christopher and John can give
> you more info about the current state of Accumulo RPMs.*
>
> This is a very good point.  While building RPMs is not difficult, it does
> require time to setup the configuration and test the builds.  I will
> include time for this in the proposal.
>
> Thanks again, Keith.
>
> Andres
>

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Keith Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> About the REST API, I meant to ask if this could be used from the command
>> line currently?  Or is too cumbersome?
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Andres Danter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yup.  Looks like that's the way to go.  Here is the link to the document.
>>> Let me know if you have any problems accessing it.
>>>

>> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxBY29P7A1RgVnZscGcycExDbEU/edit?usp=sharing

>> it
>>> as
>>> send a