Hive >> mail # user >> hive map field question

hive map field question
Hello HiveUsers,

I have a need to convert a map<string,string> field to string field and vice versa in a hive table.  I could not do cast.

I created two external tables with one has string and another map.  I can join both to get what I want, takes a long time.

Any ideas of how it can be done efficiently ?

Thanks,
Chalcy