MapReduce >> mail # user >> Spindle per Cores

RE: Spindle per Cores
I've done some experiments along these lines.  I'm using high-performance 15K RPM SAS drives instead of the more usual SATA drives, which should reduce the number of drives I need.  I have dual 4-core processors at 3.6 GHz.  These are more powerful than the average 4-core processor, which should increase the number of drives I need.  Assuming these 2 effects cancel, then my results should also apply to machines with SATA drives and average processors.  Using 8 drives (1-1) gets good performance for teragen and terasort.  Going to 12 drives (1.5 per core) increases terasort performance by 15%.  That might not seem like much compared to increasing the number of drives by 50%, but a better comparison is that 4 extra drives increased the cost of each machine by only about 12%, so the extra drives are (barely) worth it. If you're more time sensitive than cost sensitive, they they're definitely worth it.  The extra drives did not help teragen, apparently because both CPU and the internal storage controller were close to saturation. So, of course everything depends on the app.  You're shooting for saturated CPUs and disk bandwidth.  Check that the CPU is not saturated (after checking Hadoop tuning and optimizing the number of tasks). Check that you have enough memory for more tasks with room leftover for a large buffer cache.  Use 10 GbE networking or make sure the network has enough headroom.  Check the storage controller can handle more bandwidth.  If all are true (that is, no other bottlenecks), consider adding more drives.

Jeff