Avro >> mail # user >> How is a union of multiple primitives handled?

Re: How is a union of multiple primitives handled?
>From reading threads regarding issues with parsing Avro union types, and
struggling to solve my own problems with it, it appears like this is a
common "problem" when using SpecificRecord and SpecificDatumReader. More
specifically, if you are passing just a JSON string to the deserializer
(such as a SpeicificDatumReader using a JSONDecoder) the parser used
expects the types to be specifically identified in the serialized string. I
presume this is done to preserve type safety when assigning the values read
during deserialization, to the attribute fields of the object.

The most popular response on these threads is to suggest that simply use
GenericDatumReader. However, it appears to me that if we did that, all the
most important and useful functionality of Avro deserialization (and
serialization by converse logic) would be lost because this would mean that
Avro can only be used if both sender (writer) and receiver (reader) are
using Avro for what appear to be format agnostic encodings (such as
Ascii-text JSON, Protobuf, etc.)

Is there some kind of workaround so that we can continue to benefit from
immensely useful avro library components like schema builders, encoders,
decoders and such while having some flexibility in terms of the formatting
of inputs provided to these.

Pankaj

--
Pankaj Shroff