At this point my preference would be to do the most expeditious thing to release 2.8, whether that's sticking with the branch-2.8 we have today or re-cutting it on branch-2.  Doing a quick JIRA query, there's been almost 2,400 JIRAs resolved in 2.8.0 (1).  For many of them, it's well-past time they saw a release vehicle.  If re-cutting the branch means we have to wrap up a few extra things that are still in-progress on branch-2 or add a few more blockers to the list before we release then I'd rather stay where we're at and ship it ASAP.

Jason
(1) https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20in%20%28hadoop%2C%20yarn%2C%20mapreduce%2C%20hdfs%29%20and%20resolution%20%3D%20Fixed%20and%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.8.0