Unfortunately, I cannot give it that much RAM. The machine has 4GB total
(though could be expanded somewhat-- it's a VM).

Though if each edit is processed sequentially (in a streaming form), the
entire edits file will never be in RAM at once.

Is the edits file format well defined (could I break off 100MB chunks and
process them individually to achieve the same result as processing the
whole thing at once)?

--Tom