They were created and deleted in quick succession. I thought that meant the
edits for both the create and delete would be logically next to each other
in the file allowing it to release the memory almost as soon as it had been
allocated.

In any case, after finding a VM host that could give me more RAM, I was
able to get the namenode started. The process used 25GB at it's peak.

Thanks for your help!