Hadoop >> mail # dev >> submitting patches that span projects, post repo merge

submitting patches that span projects, post repo merge
Hey hadoop gurus -

With the merged repo, is the process for submitting patches that span
repos still one patch per repo? Is submitting a single patch with
changes to common, hdfs, and mapreduce acceptable post-merge?

If so, I can update the "Changes that span projects" section of
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute.
DETAILS

I finished a change for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7359, developed in a
branch on my github fork. Generating a diff between my branch and
trunk is straightforward, however, generating patches per-project
would require reworking the patch into 3 branches. Also, since the
patch changes something in common that's used in both HDFS & MR
submitting as separate patches will certainly break trunk for a brief
period.

With the merged repo, submitting patches that span projects via a
single diff is possible and potentially preferred. If
one-patch-per-project is still preferred I'll certainly do that, but
submitting a single patch is both easier from a development
perspective, won't cause temporary build breakage, and provides a
cleaner revision history.

Thoughts?

--travis