Yes, I think so.  I thought that reading random pages of results without
knowing the starting row seems like a pretty common use case (looks like
Vijay asked about a similar use case yesterday) and wondered if it is
already included in the OOTB hbase filters.  What I understood from the
discussion is that PageFilter does not provide this functionality and that
I indeed do need a custom filter to achieve that (efficiently).

Thank you all for your responses.

Toby