I think it might be useful to add a maven assembly descriptor which builds
such a client-only package.

The native client patch that I have submitted
<https://reviews.apache.org/r/23179/diff/#index_header>, builds a separate
tarball which only includes the necessary files required to use the native
client library.

Jerry, mind creating a JIRA and submitting a patch for the Java client?