I gave it a few more shots and it was back to normal...
Bulk loading is faster but more important (for us) it's more stable and
doesn't cause full GC in the region server even if loading it more then
usual.
The map time remains the same. For reduce we chose to write out a sequence
file so it's quite fast, and the bulk load map is extremely fast.
The bulk load reduce is also fast but it depends on the number of regions
in the table. We used our own code so that only specific regions will be
targeted (I think I posted it).

Bottom line - about 30% faster. But I expect it to handle bigger loads
better.