As RM for 0.98, I think it's important I do not take a position against
consensus. At the same time, it is only fair that the community should
afford the RM consistency on decision making regarding the release
criteria.

My read of this thread is a vote is not necessary. However, if we
collectively in fact do have cold feet about binary (in)compatibility, I am
more than happy to go with Aleks' report in hand and revert every commit
that intersects with an incompatible API change. Otherwise, then I request
when voting on RCs you do not cast -1 votes on that basis.