I realize that this is an evolving product and that we will likely have to
break compatibility as we go. As long as these binary incompatibilities are
non-arbitrary, well documented, and part of a concerted effort (e.g. perf
optimization) to make improvements whose value to the user is greater than
that of having binary compat, then I'm fine with it.