Hive, mail # user - Renaming partition columnname only (locations remain unchanged)

+
Sanjay Subramanian 2013-06-11, 22:16
+
Nitin Pawar 2013-06-12, 04:50
Re: Renaming partition columnname only (locations remain unchanged)
Stephen Sprague 2013-06-12, 16:52
all you have to do is create a partitioned test table and run an alter
table command to rename the partition column(s) - and see what happens.

That's about as simple as it gets.  It either works or it doesn't. :)
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Nitin Pawar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> currently hive partitions on hdfs stored as col1=val1/col2=val2
>
> looking at this if you change the column name in the metadata, I am not
> sure you will be able to locate the data with old column name. other way
> would be alter table and and run hdfs move to reflect your new column name
> in the partition directories on hdfs.
>
> It looks much simpler to just create new table and dump the old one via
> hive though
>

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:46 AM, Sanjay Subramanian <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>    Hi
>>   I have external tables where I want to change the name of the
>> partition column, locations remaining constant
>> Is there a way to do this…Else I will drop and create the table with new
>> partition column names and run my scripts to ADD PARTITION, with LOCATION
>> specified
>> Thanks
>> sanjay
>>
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> =====================>> This email message and any attachments are for the exclusive use of the
>> intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
>> information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
>> prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
>> sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message along
>> with any attachments, from your computer system. If you are the intended
>> recipient, please be advised that the content of this message is subject to
>> access, review and disclosure by the sender's Email System Administrator.
>>

> --
> Nitin Pawar

+
Sanjay Subramanian 2013-06-13, 03:44