HBase >> mail # user >> HBase Thrift inserts bottlenecked somewhere -- but where?

Re: HBase Thrift inserts bottlenecked somewhere -- but where?
On Mar 2, 2013, at 12:38 PM, lars hofhansl wrote:
> "That's only true from the HDFS perspective, right? Any given region is
> "owned" by 1 of the 6 regionservers at any given time, and writes are
> buffered to memory before being persisted to HDFS, right?"
>
> Only if you disabled the WAL, otherwise each change is written to the WAL first, and then committed to the memstore.
> So in the sense it's even worse. Each edit is written twice to the FS, replicated 3 times, and all that only 6 data nodes.

Are these writes synchronized somehow? Could there be a locking problem somewhere that wouldn't show up as utilization of disk or cpu?

What is the upshot of disabling WAL -- I assume it means that if a RegionServer crashes, you lose any writes that it has in memory but not committed to HFiles?
> 20k writes does seem a bit low.

I adjusted dfs.datanode.handler.count from 3 to 10 and now we're up to about 22-23k writes per second, but still no apparent contention for any of the basic system resources.

Any other suggestions on things to try?

Thanks,
- Dan