HBase >> mail # user >> Does MapReduce need HBase to be running?

Does MapReduce need HBase to be running?
Hi,

I'm wondering, when I run a MapReduce job over the cluster, do I need
to have HBase running? Or I can close it? That will allow me to give
an additionnal 2GB to hadoop instead of giving it to HBase if it's not
used.

Thanks,

JM