Hadoop >> mail # user >> Cluster hard drive ratios

RE: Cluster hard drive ratios

Hey!

Sorry my math is off. I keep thinking in terms of TB per core and not drives. :-)

To be honest I don't know if I would recommend 6 core cpus.

We're running on what is now considered 'old hardware' (Intel Xeon e5500 series) .
Yes we saw that w 8 cores and 4 drives, we were limited by the # of drives.
Pushing that up to 8 or 12 drives would mean that the disks would be less of a bottleneck.

But then you're looking at memory.
Which is also a limiting factor...
You're going to have to look at 10GBe. And then your ToR is going to be an issue.
Not all hardware vendors (networking) are equal. You'll want to make sure that your trunk between racks is more than 10GBe if all of your ports are running 10GBe.

Everybody has an opinion on this. Outside of Facebook and Yahoo! I don't know of anyone who is really running large clouds and is willing to talk about it.