Hive >> mail # user >> External table point of clarification

External table point of clarification
It appears as if the syntax for creating an external table takes a column description and a directory where the table (a .csv file) should be found.  Notably, it doesn't take the path to the file, rather it takes the path to the directory containing the file.

...which means that if I have multiple .csv files, each a unique table with a unique column description, it is not sufficient to put them in one hdfs directory, since the columns must be described when creating the hive table.  Rather, each .csv file conforming to a unique column description must be placed in its own separate hdfs directory, right?
Just clarifying...is this correct?  Can I not put a set of .csv files comprising multiple tables of a heterogenous database in a single directory and then have hive build a set of tables around those files?

Thank you.

"It's a fine line between meticulous and obsessive-compulsive and a slippery
rope between obsessive-compulsive and debilitatingly slow."
                                           --  Keith Wiley