Flume >> mail # user >> Does Flume NG requires to be installed on all the sources?

+
Seshu V 2013-02-07, 00:49
+
Jeff Lord 2013-02-07, 01:47
Re: Does Flume NG requires to be installed on all the sources?
Hello Jeff,

   Thanks for the reply.  My use case is not really special.  We have
multiple products and each product emits traditional log messages in
different servers.  I would like to stream those into HDFS.  The logs are
generally in apache or log4j format.
   So, I have many sources from where I want to stream the logs into HDFS.
  I can have a channel/collector machine where I install flume.   I guess,
my question is, do I need to install flume on the servers where the log
messages lie and do I need to install flume in HDFS namenode too?

Thanks,
- Seshu

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Jeff Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Seshu,
>
> It really is going to depend on your use case.
> Though it sounds that you may need to run an agent on each of the source
> machines.
> Which source do you plan to use? It may also be the case that you can use
> the flume rpc client to write data directly from your application to the
> flume collector machine.
>
> http://flume.apache.org/FlumeDeveloperGuide.html#rpc-client-interface
>
> -Jeff
>

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Seshu V <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>>     I have used Flume 0.9.3 a while back, it worked fine at that time.
>>  Now, I am looking to use 'Flume NG', started reading documentation today.
>>  In Flume 0.9.3, I installed flume agents on the servers wherever I had the
>> data source.   And, I had a collector machine separately.  My sink was
>> HDFS.   I see that Flume NG is using Channel.
>>     My question is that I have multiple source servers and my sink is
>> HDFS.  I also have another machine for Channel (collector in old days).
>> Do I need to install flume NG  in all the source machines and Channel
>> machine?  Or can I install flume NG only on the Channel server and
>> (somehow) specify in the configuration to pull data from source machines
>> and specify the sink as HDFS?
>>      Thanks in advance for your replies..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> - Seshu