Hive >> mail # user >> External Partition Table

Re: External Partition Table

Thanks Tim. I am using a String column for the partition column.

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:49 PM, Timothy Potter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Raj,
This seems like a matter of style vs. any performance benefit / cost ... if you're going to do a lot of queries just based on month or year, then #2 might be easier, e.g.

select * from foo where year = 2013 seems a little cleaner than select * from foo where date >= 20130101 and date <= 20131231 (not sure how you're encoding dates into a INT but I think you get the idea)

I do something similar but my partition fields are strings, like 2013-10-31_0000 (which has the nice property of lexically sorting the same as numeric sort).

I'm assuming they will both have the same performance because Hive is still selecting the same number of input paths in both scenarios, one just happens to be a little deeper.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi,