Hadoop, mail # general - [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5

Re: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Chris Nauroth 2013-05-13, 17:37
-1 (non-binding)

I want to thank everyone on the thread for taking the time to present the
potential risks and benefits so clearly.  There are valid arguments on
either side.  My -1 vote is based on the fact that maintaining an extra
branch carries a high cost, and I do not see evidence that the potential
stability benefits would outweigh that cost.

Committers already have a heavy workload, and this plan would create a
scenario where committers need to manage merges not only between trunk and
branch-2, but also to a separate branch-2.0.  This is in addition to
possible backports to branch-1 or 0.23.7.

I also do not see a definition of any specific development or testing
activity, beyond a vague sense of "bake time", that needs to happen inside
the new branch-2.1 for the new features to be considered stable.  As others
on the thread have said, we all can work more effectively if stability
concerns are documented clearly as requirements in jiras, so that we have a
measurable goal and an entry point for engineers that want to volunteer on
stabilization.

As I understand it, the features under debate are secure short-circuit
reads, snapshots, and Windows compatibility.  In all 3 cases, I've observed
multiple contributors, committers, and testers actively working towards the
goal of stability.  I cannot think of any specific deficiencies that I need
to see addressed before I would deploy the code.  (If I do think of
anything later, I'll document it in a jira, and I'm happy to help with
stabilization of any of those features.)

Of course, every new line of code carries risk.  There will always be bugs.
 In this case though, I think the proposal increases development workload
without significantly reducing the risk.

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/