HBase >> mail # user >> Fixing badly distributed table manually.

Re: Fixing badly distributed table manually.
Hi,

Balancing regions between RS is correctly handled by HBase : I mean
that your RSs always manage the same number of regions (the balancer
takes care of it).

Unfortunately, balancing all the regions of one particular table
between the RS of your cluster is not always easy, since HBase (as
for 0.90.3) when it comes to splitting a region, create the new one
always on the same RS. This means that if you start with a 1 region
only table, and then you insert lots of data into it, new regions
will always be created to the same RS (if you insert is a M/R job,
you saturate this RS). Eventually, the balancer at a time will
decide to balance one of these regions to other RS, limiting the
issue, but it is not controllable.

Here at Capptain, we solved this problem by developing a special
Python script, based on the HBase shell, allowing to entirely
balance all the regions of all tables to all RS. It ensure that
regions of tables are uniformly deployed on all RS of the cluster,
with a minimum region transitions.

It is fast, and even if it can trigger a lot of region transitions,
there is very few impact at runtime and it can be run safely.

If you are interested, just let me know, I can share it.

Regards,

Le 04/09/12 23:42, David Koch a �crit :