MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: Retrieve and compute input splits

Re: Retrieve and compute input splits
Technically, the block locations are provided by the InputSplit which in
the FileInputFormat case, is provided by the FileSystem Interface.

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/InputSplit.html

The thing to realize here is that the FileSystem implementation is provided
at runtime - so the InputSplit class is responsible to create a FileSystem
implementation using reflection, and then call the getBlockLocations of on
a given file or set of files which the input split is corresponding to.

I think your confusion here lies in the fact that the input splits create a
filesystem, however, they dont know what the filesystem implementation
actually is - they only rely on the abstract contract, which provides a set
of block locations.

See the FileSystem abstract class for details on that.

--
Jay Vyas
http://jayunit100.blogspot.com