Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Code import for Apache Accumulo

Re: Code import for Apache Accumulo
On 29 October 2013 00:02, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> +1 for it's own repo... but due to licensing concerns of the R
> dependency, and lack of committership of the original developers, I'm
> not sure it makes much sense for Accumulo to adopt it as a sub-project
> by importing it, which would mean taking on the responsibility of
> maintaining it.

That's the eternal problem with contributed code. Close to the project: you
can keep an eye on it, but then people expect it to work and blame you if
it can't. But at the same time, those contributions build up your project's
functionality.

One rule that I've found works is: never accept code that you can't test
yourself.

If it needs some non-standard filesystem, lots of pre-installed binaries or
human intervention, its not something that you can hook up to a CI build,
or test in a release process -so it will be broken almost from the outset.

If you can test it yourself, even if if you have to pay a few cents of S3
or openstack cluster time, then it is something you could consider
releasing as "tested". Otherwise, it'll just become a maintenance and
support nightmare in years to come.

In Hadoop core some of the contribs/ -the schedulers - were pulled in, but
other contrib stuff is now out -the general policy being "no orphaned works
in the core codebase".

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE