HBase, mail # user - Miserable Performance of gets

Miserable Performance of gets
kiran 2013-03-06, 04:36
Dear All,

I had some miserable experience with gets (batch gets) in hbase. I have two
tables with different rowkeys, columns are distributed across the two
tables.

Currently what I am doing is scan over one table and get all the rowkeys in
the first table matching my filter. Then issue a batch get on another table
to retrieve some columns. But even for 20 gets, the performance is like
miserable (almost a second or two for 20 gets which is not acceptable).
But, scanning even on few thousands of rows is getting completed in
milliseconds.

My concern is for about 20 gets if it takes second or two,
How can it scale ??
Will the performance be the same even if I issue 1000 gets ??
Is it advisable in hbase to avoid gets ??

I can include all columns in only one table and do a scan also, but before
doing that I need to really understand the issue...

Is scanning a better solution for scalability and performance ???

Is it advisable not to do joins or normalizations in NOSQL databases,
include all the data in only table and not do joins with another table ??
--
Thank you
Kiran Sarvabhotla

-----Even a correct decision is wrong when it is taken late