Home | About | Sematext search-lucene.com search-hadoop.com
 Search Hadoop and all its subprojects:

Switch to Plain View
HBase, mail # user - HBase Issues (perhaps related to 127.0.0.1)


+
Ratner, Alan S 2012-11-21, 20:01
+
Mohammad Tariq 2012-11-21, 20:11
+
Ratner, Alan S 2012-11-21, 21:02
Copy link to this message
-
Re: HBase Issues (perhaps related to 127.0.0.1)
Michael Segel 2012-11-22, 00:40
Hi,

Quick question...

DO you have 127.0.0.1 set to anything other than localhost?

If not, then it should be fine and you may want to revert to hard coded IP addresses on your other configuration files.

If you have Hadoop up and working, then you should be able to stand up HBase on top of that.

Just doing a quick look, and it seems that your name for your hadoop is resolving to your localhost.
What does your /etc/ hosts file look like?

How many machines in your cluster?

Have you thought about pulling down a 'free' copy of Cloudera, MapR or if Hortonworks has one ...

If you're thinking about using HBase as a standalone instance and don't care about Map/Reduce, maybe going with something else would make sense.

HTH

-Mike

On Nov 21, 2012, at 3:02 PM, "Ratner, Alan S (IS)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks Mohammad.  I set the clientPort but as I was already using the default value of 2181 it made no difference.
>
> I cannot remove the 127.0.0.1 line from my hosts file.  I connect to my servers via VPN from a Windows laptop using either NX or VNC and both apparently rely on the 127.0.0.1 IP address.  This was not a problem with older versions of HBase (I used to use 0.20.x) so it seems to be something relatively new.  
>
> It seems I have a choice: access my servers remotely or run HBase and these 2 are mutually incompatible.  I think my options are either:
> a) revert to an old version of HBase
> b) switch to Accumulo, or
> c) switch to Cassandra.
>
> Alan
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mohammad Tariq [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:11 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: EXT :Re: HBase Issues (perhaps related to 127.0.0.1)
>
> Hello Alan,
>
>    It's better to keep 127.0.0.1 out of your /etc/hosts and make sure you
> have proper DNS resolution as it plays an important role in proper Hbase
> functioning. Also add the "hbase.zookeeper.property.clientPort" property in
> your hbase-site.xml file and see if it works for you.
>
> Regards,
>    Mohammad Tariq
>
>
>
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Ratner, Alan S (IS) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to get HBase up and running.
>> Right now it dies after a few seconds on all servers.  I am using Hadoop
>> 1.0.4, ZooKeeper 3.4.4 and HBase 0.94.2 on Ubuntu.
>>
>> History: Yesterday I managed to get HBase 0.94.2 working but only after
>> removing the 127.0.0.1 line from my /etc/hosts file (and synchronizing my
>> clocks).  All was fine until this morning when I realized I could not
>> initiate remote log-ins to my servers (using VNC or NX) until I restored
>> the 127.0.0.1 line in /etc/hosts.  With that restored I am back to a
>> non-working HBase.
>>
>> With HBase managing ZK I see the following in the HBase Master and ZK
>> logs, respectively:
>> 2012-11-21 13:40:22,236 WARN
>> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.RecoverableZooKeeper: Possibly transient
>> ZooKeeper exception:
>> org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$ConnectionLossException:
>> KeeperErrorCode = ConnectionLoss for /hbase
>>
>> 2012-11-21 13:40:22,122 WARN org.apache.zookeeper.server.NIOServerCnxn:
>> Exception causing close of session 0x0 due to java.io.IOException:
>> ZooKeeperServer not running
>>
>> At roughly the same time (clocks not perfectly synchronized) I see this in
>> a Regionserver log:
>> 2012-11-21 13:40:57,727 WARN
>> org.apache.zookeeper.client.ZooKeeperSaslClient: SecurityException:
>> java.lang.SecurityException: Unable to locate a login configuration
>> occurred when trying to find JAAS configuration.
>> ...
>> 2012-11-21 13:40:57,848 WARN
>> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.RecoverableZooKeeper: Possibly transient
>> ZooKeeper exception:
>> org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$ConnectionLossException:
>> KeeperErrorCode = ConnectionLoss for /hbase/master
>>
>> Logs and configuration follows.
>>
>> Then I tried managing ZK myself and HBase then fails for seemingly
>> different reasons.