HDFS >> mail # dev >> how to compile proto files?

how to compile proto files?
I'm trying to change the build to compile the proto files (instead checking
in the generated java files)

However, I'm not able to run protoc successfully.

Tried

$ protoc -Isrc/proto/ --java_out=target/generated-sources/java
src/proto/*.proto

but it does not work.

Thanks.

Alejandro