HBase >> mail # dev >> Help with HBaseTestingUtility / MiniDFSCluster

Help with HBaseTestingUtility / MiniDFSCluster
Hi all,

I am having an issue starting the a mini cluster for the HBaseTestingUtility.  In short I can on Mac OSX, but cannot on Linux.   But the error is cryptic and I don't know what to do next.

I submitted a ticket with full details on StackOverflow,

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17625938/hbase-minidfscluster-java-fails-in-certain-environments

But when I call .startMiniCluster  on an instance of HBaseTestingUtility , on Linux (CentOS x86_64), I receive this error:

ERROR in (create-table) (MiniDFSCluster.java:426)
Uncaught exception, not in assertion.
expected: nil
  actual: java.lang.NullPointerException: null
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.MiniDFSCluster.startDataNodes (MiniDFSCluster.java:426)
    org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.MiniDFSCluster.<init> (MiniDFSCluster.java:284)
    org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HBaseTestingUtility.startMiniDFSCluster (HBaseTestingUtility.java:444)
    org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HBaseTestingUtility.startMiniCluster (HBaseTestingUtility.java:612)
    org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HBaseTestingUtility.startMiniCluster (HBaseTestingUtility.java:568)
    org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HBaseTestingUtility.startMiniCluster (HBaseTestingUtility.java:555)

I would appreciate help in finding out whats going on and how to set up my ENV to use the HBaseTestingUtility.

Thanks
David