MapReduce, mail # user - Erasure Coding in HDFS

Erasure Coding in HDFS
Pankaj Misra 2012-12-13, 09:50
Dear All,

I was looking at options for reducing the overall cost of storage that is incurred due to replication of data across the datanodes for higher availability and data localization for processing.

I stumbled on a few articles suggesting erasure coding (software-raid) as one such mechanism which can provide upt 5 to 8 9s of availability while keeping the replication factor low.

I also came across a JIRA for erasure coding in HDFS

I will need some help to understand the following
1. How can I use erasure coding with Hadoop 1.1.1 release?
2. How will erasure coding work with replication mechanism and how will it affect the data locality aspect for data processing, since erasure coding fragments the data?
3. How mature is the current implementation of erasure coding in HDFS?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
Pankaj Misra
Pankaj Misra 2012-12-14, 12:11