HDFS >> mail # dev >> Heartbeat interval and timeout: why 3 secs and 10 min?

Re: Heartbeat interval and timeout: why 3 secs and 10 min?
My understanding is that the 10 minute timeout helps to avoid replication
storms, especially during startup.

You might be interested in HDFS-3703, which adds a "stale" state which
datanodes are placed into after 30 seconds of missing heartbeats.  (This is
an optional feature controlled by dfs.namenode.check.stale.datanode )

best,
Colin