HBase, mail # user - web applications and multiple db calls per page view

web applications and multiple db calls per page view
S Ahmed 2010-07-14, 15:12
If I build a forum application like vbulletin on top on hbase, I can forsee
that each page view will have multiple calls to hbase.

Let's picture someone viewing a particular thread (question) on the website:

0. load the current website object (remember this is a multi-tenancy
application, Saas forum application).
1. verify user is logged in.
2. get user profile / permissions if logged in
3. get current forum object
4. get current thread object
5. get all replies to thread

And probably 2-3 calls will come into the picture as i progress.

If each call takes 100ms, this isn't going to be a 'snappy' response now is
it?

Or is there a way to batch calls to minimize the chattyness?