Hadoop, mail # general - [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?

+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-14, 22:11
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-14, 22:41
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2011-11-14, 22:47
+
Todd Papaioannou 2011-11-14, 22:47
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2011-11-14, 22:44
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2011-11-14, 22:46
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-11-14, 23:01
+
Sharad Agarwal 2011-11-15, 05:37
+
Mahadev Konar 2011-11-15, 06:23
+
Owen OMalley 2011-11-15, 05:47
+
Andreas Neumann 2011-11-15, 05:56
+
Owen OMalley 2011-11-15, 06:20
+
Dhruba Borthakur 2011-11-15, 06:07
+
Steve Loughran 2011-11-15, 09:57
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-11-15, 21:43
+
Owen OMalley 2011-11-15, 22:17
+
Ted Dunning 2011-11-15, 22:25
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-15, 22:32
+
Luke Lu 2011-11-15, 22:40
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-16, 01:37
+
Ahmed Radwan 2011-11-16, 01:41
+
Eli Collins 2011-11-16, 01:49
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-16, 01:56
+
Eli Collins 2011-11-16, 02:03
+
Arun Murthy 2011-11-16, 04:20
+
Matt Foley 2011-11-16, 02:42
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-11-16, 02:47
+
Joe Stein 2011-11-16, 03:35
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2011-11-16, 07:26
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2011-11-16, 15:46
+
Scott Carey 2011-11-16, 07:06
+
Arun Murthy 2011-11-16, 04:14
+
Eli Collins 2011-11-16, 04:51
+
Joe Stein 2011-11-16, 05:37
+
Arun Murthy 2011-11-16, 05:53
+
Eli Collins 2011-11-16, 06:13
+
Arun Murthy 2011-11-16, 07:05
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-11-16, 02:06
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-16, 17:15
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-11-16, 17:24
+
Scott Carey 2011-11-16, 18:15
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-16, 19:57
+
Matt Foley 2011-11-16, 21:11
+
Owen OMalley 2011-11-16, 21:37
+
Joe Stein 2011-11-16, 21:53
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-11-16, 23:05
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-11-16, 23:40
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-17, 00:03
+
Eric Yang 2011-11-17, 00:05
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-11-17, 05:54
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-16, 22:43
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-16, 23:02
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-16, 23:05
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-16, 23:13
+
sanjay Radia 2011-11-17, 01:11
+
Nathan Roberts 2011-11-16, 23:51
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-17, 00:13
+
Scott Carey 2011-11-17, 01:37
+
Scott Carey 2011-11-17, 02:06
+
Steve Loughran 2011-11-17, 10:45
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-11-17, 16:33
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-17, 19:09
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-11-17, 19:31
Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
Steve Loughran 2011-11-21, 11:17
On 17/11/11 19:31, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Arun C Murthy<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
>> I don't know which are the ones in 'every single downstream component' - care to enumerate?
>>
>> The ones I'm aware of, which have since been fixed are:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-4510 ->  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2412 (we fixed the internal HDFS apis so that HBase can continue to use them)
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-2125 ->  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-3138 (
>> we fixed MR to allow apps deal with inconsistency in 'new' MR apis which changed in 0.21).
>>
>> I'm not aware of anything else - what else do you see?
>>
>> In summary, please take a careful look at the 'factual information' before you decide to proclaim your beliefs
>> about important aspects such as 'incompatibility' - it's key to ensure we don't confuse end-users and have a smooth adoption of newer releases.
>
> First of all, I would appreciate if you refrain from statements that
> sound like you're lecturing me on public mailing list.
>
> Here's what I said. Let me spell it out once again:
>
> "I believe that by now we have enough factual evidence that at least
> framework-level APIs are incompatible."
>
> Here's the umbrella Bigtop JIRA that tracks those incompatibilities:
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-162
>
> Nowhere in my email I implied that I *know* of  cases where user-level
> APIs would break. That said,
> without a formal verification of backwards compatibility I can NOT
> make the inverse statement as well.

I think we went though that discussion of formality a while back; the
conclusion being without a formal specification of semantics.

What tends to burn code is the implicit expectations of behaviour -stuff
that was never stated to be true, but which turned out to be so for a while.

I view all these bugreps as a sign of Bigtop's value to the release
process -from that point of view: well done.

One thing I would like to see for build and test is the 0.23+ JARs in
the public mvn repository, including the test ones (without any log4j
files), so that downstream projects can work with them easily. I can see
the 0.23.0 SNAPSHOT artifacts in the apache repository, but given the
way M2 handles such things, I'd rather stable versioned releases
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-11-17, 21:07
+
Mahadev Konar 2011-11-17, 21:12