Sqoop, mail # dev - Sqoop2 Conf Call (6/27)

Sqoop2 Conf Call (6/27)
Kathleen Ting 2012-06-28, 00:30
Dear Sqoop Developers,

This week's Sqoop 2 meeting minutes are below and on the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SQOOP/Meeting+Minutes+-+June+27,+2012

Please RSVP to me (without replying to the list) if you would like to
attend the next call, which will be next, next Wednesday (7/11) at
10am PDT.

Thanks,
Kathleen

---
6/27 Meeting Minutes:
1. Datatype support: we discussed the datatype support for Sqoop2.
Among the points raised were the following:
- Sqoop 1 datatypes are different for Java, Hive and Avro. Most of the
time the connector does the datatype mapping.
- For Sqoop 2, we would like to standardize on the datatype support so
that all connectors can conform for consistency.
- Some datatypes discussed today were:
--- String, char: UTF 8 encoded
--- Timestamp: Unix time representation to millisecond level
--- Binary: byte array
--- Numeric: byte, short, int, long, float, double, byte
--- Null type

2. Intermediate data format
- Jarcec has started out the intermediate format specification page on
the Wiki (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SQOOP/Sqoop2+Intermediate+representation).
This was discussed at a high level in context of the various datatypes
to be used.