Hadoop >> mail # user >> Hadoop on physical Machines compared to Amazon Ec2 / virtual machines

Re: Hadoop on physical Machines compared to Amazon Ec2 / virtual machines
We actually were in an Amazon/host it yourself debate with someone.
Which prompted us to do some calculations:

http://www.edwardcapriolo.com/roller/edwardcapriolo/entry/myth_busters_ops_editition_is

We calculated the cost for storage alone of 300 TB on ec2 as 585K a month!

The cloud people hate hearing facts like this with staggering $
values. They also do not like hearing how a $35 dollar a month
physical server at Joe's datacenter is much better then an equivilent
cloud machine.

http://blog.carlmercier.com/2012/01/05/ec2-is-basically-one-big-ripoff/

When you bring these facts the go-to-move is go-buzzword with phrases
"cost of system admin", "elastic", "up front initial costs".

I will say that Amazons EMR service is pretty cool and their is
something to it, but the cost of storage and good performance is off
the scale for me.