Kafka >> mail # user >> tried following kickstart, says unknown host name

+
S Ahmed 2012-05-03, 01:06
+
S Ahmed 2012-05-03, 01:22
+
S Ahmed 2012-05-03, 01:32
+
Jun Rao 2012-05-03, 01:57
+
S Ahmed 2012-05-03, 02:42
Re: tried following kickstart, says unknown host name
If this helps:

>cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 ubuntu

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
xx.xx.xx.xx myhostname.myhostname.com debauto

where xx.xx.xx.xx is my servers public ip, and myhostname is my domain name.

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:42 PM, S Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Jun,
>
> I'm on a dedicated box, not ec2.
> BTW, I am running everything (zookeeper and kafka) on the same server.
> Just to recap, I'm doing everthing default as per the quickstart.
> Zookeeper started just fine.
> When trying to run kafka server with config/server.properties I got:
>
> Error: Exception thrown by the agent : java.net.MalformedURLException:
> Local host name unknown: java.net.UnknownHostException: myhostname:
> myhostname
>
> Why does it repeat the hostname in the exception?
>
> That's all the exception I got, is there a way to get a more detailed
> exception, is that what you are referring to?
>

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Jun Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Could you put the stack trace of the exception? Normally, you don't need
>> define hostname in broker. You only need to do that if somehow the local
>> ip
>> is not accessible to the clients (e.g., EC2)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jun
>>
>> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM, S Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > I downloaded 0.7, updated and packaged using sbt.
>> >
>> > I was able to run zooker, but when I tried running the kafka server I
>> got:
>> >
>> > Error: Exception thrown by the agent : java.net.MalformedURLException:
>> > Local host name unknown: java.net.UnknownHostException: myhostname:
>> > myhostname
>> >
>> > (where myhostname was my host name :)  )
>> >
>> > Do I need to tweak the config property files or something?   I didn't
>> touch
>> > anything, just wanted to get it going.

+
Jun Rao 2012-05-03, 03:12