Hive >> mail # dev >> hi

+
Namit Jain 2013-04-18, 12:31
+
Jarek Jarcec Cecho 2013-04-18, 15:49
Hi,

I like the proposal as well!

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Jarek Jarcec Cecho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi Namit,
> I like your proposal very much and I would take it a bit further:
>
> >   1.  ... For any complex function, clear examples (input/output) would
> really help.
>
> I'm concerned that examples in the code (comments) might very quickly
> become obsolete as it can very easily happen that someone will change the
> code without changing the example. What about using for this purpose normal
> unit tests? Developers will still be able to see the expected input/output,
> but in addition we will have automatic way how to detect (possibly
> incompatible) changes. Please note that I'm not suggesting to abandon the
> *.q file tests, just to also include unit tests for complex methods.

I'd be interested in including more unit tests as well. I like the existing
q file test framework but when working on code I find unit tests which can
complete in less than a second or allows for faster iterations than waiting
30 or so seconds for a q-file test to complete.

Brock
+
Namit Jain 2013-04-18, 16:17
+