HDFS >> mail # dev >> Re: SDP support for Hadoop RPC

+
Milind Bhandarkar 2013-10-09, 00:57
+
Yasin Celik 2013-10-09, 01:13
+
Milind Bhandarkar 2013-10-09, 01:19
+
Steve Loughran 2013-10-09, 08:45
+
Milind Bhandarkar 2013-10-09, 09:09
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-10-09, 15:47
+
Milind Bhandarkar 2013-10-09, 17:38
Re: SDP support for Hadoop RPC
oops, didn't finish a sentence:
On 9 October 2013 09:45, Steve Loughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> IB should be most interesting at the app level -for apps > classic MR.
> That's giraph, streaming work, Tez. I'd like to see some numbers there. As
> the oracle

As the oracle exadata appliance has IB, there may be some numbers -but I
don't know if/how Hadoop takes advantage IB there.

I have seen numbers related to 10GbE and they weren't that compelling for
very large clusters, where you have multiple racks and enough nodes that
server failures are handled easily. 2x1GbE or 4x1GbE bonded still has a
price advantage there -though you've just massively complicated your wiring
and stand-up costs.

For smaller clusters where the servers are going towards
many-disks-per-box, 10GbE is compelling from a recovery perspective,
especially as the cost of the backbone switches will be less.

Steve

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Luke Lu 2013-10-10, 08:00