HBase, mail # user - How can I set heap size for HBase?

+
yonghu 2013-03-11, 11:15
Re: How can I set heap size for HBase?
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-03-11, 13:02
Hi Yong,

First, you might want to take a look at that:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/FAQ_Operations#A1 for the out of
memory issue.

Regardin which size to assign to HBase, take a look at the very short
one: http://hbase.apache.org/book/performance.html#perf.os

The more you can give it, the better.

If you have your DataNode and the RegionServer on the same server,
it's usually good to give 1GB to the DN and keep some memory for the
OS (I keep 1GB). Then you can give everything else to HBase. If yo
uare running MR jobs, you might want to keep some memory too for those
process depending one how much they need. But be sure do not give to
much in total else you will swap and performances are going to be VERY
bad. Take a look at the swapiness setting.

all those values need to be adjusted based on your usecase and current
data, You might need more for the DN if you have more files/data, etc.

JM