Hadoop, mail # user - recommendation on HDDs

Re: recommendation on HDDs
Ted Dunning 2011-02-10, 20:43
Get bigger disks.  Data only grows and having extra is always good.

You can get 2TB drives for <$100 and 1TB for < $75.

As far as transfer rates are concerned, any 3GB/s SATA drive is going to be
about the same (ish).  Seek times will vary a bit with rotation speed, but
with Hadoop, you will be doing long reads and writes.

Your controller and backplane will have a MUCH bigger vote in getting
acceptable performance.  With only 4 or 5 drives, you don't have to worry
about super-duper backplane, but you can still kill performance with a lousy
controller.