MapReduce >> mail # user >> FSDataInputStream: setReadAhead, setDropBehind

FSDataInputStream: setReadAhead, setDropBehind
I'm assuming that these methods exist to improve performance of certain I/O patterns, but the API doc doesn't explain when one would use them.  Our software's I/O pattern is mostly sequential I/O in large buffers (e.g. 256k).  Would one set these differently for local block I/O vs remote block I/O?
Thanks
John