HBase >> mail # user >> Shared Cluster between HBase and MapReduce

Re: Shared Cluster between HBase and MapReduce
Atif,

These are general recommendations and definitely change based on the access patterns and the way you will be using HBase and MapReduce. In general, if you are building a latency sensitive application on top of HBase, running a MapReduce job at the same time will impact performance due to I/O contention. If your main access patterns is going to be running MapReduce over HBase tables, you should absolutely consider collocating the two frameworks. Now, these recommendations might change based on the resources you have on your nodes (CPU, disk, memory).

Having a single HDFS cluster and using some hosts for HBase and others for MapReduce only gets you a common storage fabric. It doesn't solve the problem of reading data into MapReduce tasks from remote hosts (region servers in this case) and is pretty much the same as having two separate clusters. In case of two separate clusters, you'll be running your MapReduce jobs to talk to a remote HBase instance. You don't have to export data out of that cluster manually onto the MapReduce cluster to run jobs on it.

Hope that makes it clearer.

-Amandeep