Hadoop >> mail # general >> Bigtop Proposal

Re: Bigtop Proposal
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Steve Loughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For those people who aren't on the Apache Incubator mailing lists, Tom
> White has proposed "BigTop", which is the tooling to integrate the build and
> testing of the Apache Hadoop technologies, perhaps eventually to have
> coordinated releases.

I will comment on the proposal directly as well, but coordinated releases
would be a disaster.  Mahout, for one, should not have to wait for Hadoop to
have a release.  We are already unhappy that we only get two releases a year
and want to up that to four.

Much better is to have a directed acyclic dependency graph with coherent
versioning.  That allows projects to stay independent, but still express
version requirements.

>  -It might make sense for the hadoop, pig, hive, hama, mahout, hbase &c
> committers to all have access to this, so that they can help evolve the
> packaging and functional tests.

Multi-project access sounds right.