Hive >> mail # user >> unbalanced transaction calls

unbalanced transaction calls
As part of our daily workflow, we're running a few hundred hive
queries that are coordinated through oozie.  Recently we're
encountering issues where on average a job or two fails - and never
the same query.  The observed error is:

FAILED: Error in metadata: java.lang.RuntimeException:
commitTransaction was called but openTransactionCalls = 0. This
probably indicates that there are unbalanced calls to
openTransaction/commitTransaction

which I've seen was referred to in HIVE-1760 but patched in 0.7.

We're running Hive 0.9 (from CDH 4.1 - will redirect to the Cloudera
lists if that is a more appropriate form) - any ideas / suggestions
where I should start looking?

cheers,
-James