Hmm, I wish we had agreed on the use of those APIs outside the project up
front. The interfaces log4j2 used to embed Flume were not designed to be
public. Now that we have a stable API, hopefully log4j2 can have another
release soon which takes advantage of the embedded agent APIs.

AFAICT it's not going to be straightforward to provide backward
compatibility with the previous APIs, but I'm willing to be proven wrong...

Regards,
Mike