Accumulo, mail # dev - That extra 'src'

Re: That extra 'src'
Benson Margulies 2012-03-12, 18:34
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Keith Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Benson Margulies
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Keith Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Just to make sure I understand, you are a saying if "<root>/src/*"
>>> were moved to "<root>/" mvn site would be happy?
>>
>> Yes. Also many people with ingrained habits of interacting with
>> multi-module maven projects.
>>

> Would anything other than mvn site benefit from this change?   I am
> not opposed to making this change.  It will make merging bugfixes from
> 1.4 to trunk slightly painful.

Here's my best arguments:

1) Maven works best when you follow the pattern. Maven, and I write as
a committer to it, has many traps for you when you try to stray from
the pattern, even when there seems to be a perfectly reasonable means
of configuring what you want. Following the pattern for multi-module
projects will pay off in the long run, even if, in the short run, all
it does it make the site plugin usable (thus getting you pretty
reports on the web site).

2) Least Surprise. Potential contributors who are accustomed to 'the
usual thing' are will always find that dir to be a pothole.

It doesn't really make merges work much harder, since the scm's track the moves.