Zookeeper >> mail # dev >> Input on a change

+
Camille Fournier 2012-04-13, 15:09
+
Scott Fines 2012-04-13, 15:15
+
Michi Mutsuzaki 2012-04-13, 20:19
+
Jeremy Stribling 2012-04-13, 21:25
+
Michi Mutsuzaki 2012-04-13, 21:31
+
Michi Mutsuzaki 2012-04-13, 21:38
+
Camille Fournier 2012-04-15, 18:28
+
Ishaaq Chandy 2012-04-16, 03:20
Re: Input on a change
I believe that this change is inspired by someone that runs zk embedded.
Personally I'm not moved by the testing argument, embedding the server for
testing is a bit of an anti pattern in my mind.

On Apr 15, 2012 11:20 PM, "Ishaaq Chandy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd go so far as to say that even the server-code should avoid System.exit.
> Just because it is "meant" to be a standalone system doesn't mean that code
> that makes it impossible to embed it should be encouraged.
>
> For e.g, we embed a local version of ZK to be used inside our unit tests.
> This makes it much easier for us to control ZK to coincide with test
> expectations as well as making for much faster build times. It would be a
> shame if the embedded ZK started killing the JVM.
>
> Ishaaq
>
> On 16 April 2012 04:28, Camille Fournier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > This is a good point.
> > I think this change should be fine for the server portion of the code,
> > since it's designed to be run as a standalone system. But for the
> > client connection to also call system.exit on such an error is
> > overreaching for all the reasons listed below.

> > 2012/4/15 Віталій Тимчишин <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > I really would not like for any library to perform a System.exit call.
> > This
> > > would make huge program exit out of sudden (think about j2ee, you may
> be
> > > bitten by security manager).  Note that there are more or less safe
> > errors,
> > > like StackOverflowError.
> > > Also System.exit make testing nightmare. E.g. maven2 silently skips any
> > > tests after the one that calls System.exit. And everything's green.
> > > As for me good options are:
> > > 1) Call user-provided uncaught exception handler. Use the one from the
> > > thread that created the connection if one is not specified explicity.
> > > 1) Stop everything, notifying user with a global watcher. If it's
> > possible,
> > > clean any static state (e.g. restart threads) and allow to restart
> > > connection.
> > > In any case, call user code. Good system already know how to react (it
> > may
> > > want to send email to admin), allow it to perform well.
> > >
> > > Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn.

> and
> > I'd

> > it